What is Infant Mental Health?
Infant mental health services seek to reduce the incidence of mental illness and learning disabilities by providing assistance and increasing protective factors for at-risk children and their families.
How do these services work?
At-risk populations can access specialized services that offer positive behavioral skills training, counseling, education, tutoring, support and enrichment programs through contracts with area schools and other community organizations.
Why are these services important?
The first five years of a child’s life are the most important in terms of physical, social, and emotional development. It is at this time that the brain is working its hardest and forming pathways that are present for the rest of the child’s life. It’s important to address needs as early as possible… its never too early.
Share this Post
Who may benefit from these services?
Integro’s Infant Mental Health program works with children from birth to 3 years of age and their families. If you or someone you know meets any of these criteria, you might be eligible for assistance through Integro’s Infant Mental Health program:
- Difficulties adjusting to a new baby
- Premature or special needs baby
- Single or adolescent parent
- Infants and toddlers with difficult temperaments
- Concerns with attachment
- Infant/Toddler who may not be growing as expected
- Closely spaced children
- Parents with a history of mental illness
- Parents with a history of substance abuse
- Families involved with Child Protective Services
- Chronic stress related to lack of financial resources
What services are provided in Infant Mental Health?
Our Infant Mental Health services include:
- Visits from a licensed mental health professional specifically trained to work with infants and toddlers.
- Assessment of infant/toddler and family needs
- Goals set by the family – not the service provider.
- Coordination with other services in the home
- Referrals to help meet other family needs
- Advocating for the infant/toddler and family’s needs.
Contact Integro in Hillsdale or Jackson for more information or to make a referral for this services.